Well, I hit post last night and crawled in bed with Patrick as promised.. Only to have Brian notice as he moved Patrick to bed that he felt kind of warm to the touch. Patrick was running a fever of about 101. So they called the doctors and they ordered blood cultures (including peripheral ones, which means they had to use a needle which always makes him scared and sad.) Then, they gave him Tylenol and told him he could sleep.
His night wasn’t the greatest. He tossed and turned and felt like he was burning up. But, with Tylenol, he didn’t register another fever. And this morning he wasn’t the happiest, but he was ok.
I talked to the nurse this morning and asked if we could get cultures on the other side of Patrick’s line and also test to see if he had a virus. So they did a respiratory viral panel. (Sidenote, this is abbreviated RVP here, but VRP at home and they keep correcting us here thinking we are making a mistake, when really it’s just a difference in word order.)
The viral panel was negative and it’s been almost 24 hour and the first set of cultures is also negative. His lungs sound clear. Patrick’s done ok all day, though didn’t seem to feel much like himself.
They don’t usually start antibiotics for their transplant kids unless fevers either get really high or last a long time or they can’t find a cause.
Finally, this evening, we let his Tylenol wear off again. Patrick kind of curled up in a ball and started to breathe heavily. Sure enough, the fever was back at 101.
This is proving to be a tricky balance. We don’t really want to give him narcotic pain medicines anymore. But the alternative is Tylenol, which hides a fever. We don’t know if he’s really had this problem lurking but hidden for a while. And the team keeps saying that Patrick only ran a fever once in the previous day, when really it’s just that Patrick could only handle the pain of his tylenol wearing off enough to show a fever once in the past day.
Because Patrick hasn’t been feeling well, we have had a pretty quiet Sunday. I had to go do some laundry at the Ronald McDonald House this morning. While I was there, I did a little bit of rearranging and organizing to get the room ready for Patrick to come there. It’s small and organization is going to matter.
Then Brian called and said the elders were on their way with the sacrament, so I hurried back.
Usually, I would have done some homeschool-style Sunday School today.. But none of us really felt like doing much of anything.. So maybe we’ll wait till later in the week.
So, we are just waiting and watching and praying that if something needs to be discovered and treated, that it will be. Otherwise, we just keep planning for the best case scenario that Patrick might be ready to move out of the hospital one of these days. After all, it’s a holiday week and if we follow Patrick’s rules for holidays, something big has gotta happen.